Home Is Where the Heart Is!
Most will agree a home is not just a pile of bricks and mortar. Rather, a true “home” comprises much more, including everything inside it.
How do I protect what really makes my house a home?
Protecting the important stuff inside your home begins with an understanding what you have. If you’re like many people, you may find your home contains much more personal property than you realize.
To understand how much stuff you have, develop a careful inventory of your personal property following these tips.
- Use a video camera to record and audibly describe items as you move through your home. If you don’t have access to a video camera, use a standard camera or phone camera.
- Whether you use still photos or video to develop your inventory, include brand names and descriptions where possible, especially on high-cost items.
- Keep any and all receipts on high-dollar purchases. Keep these receipts filed together with any instruction booklets, warranties, etc. that accompany the items.
- Store your video or photo inventory offsite or back it up with an additional drive.
- When you make new purchases, be sure to add them to your inventory.
If you have high-value items, be sure to check with us at Herlihy Insurance so we can review your homeowners coverage to make sure you’re properly protected. We understand that your home is not just a house, and we are here to help ensure that everything important to you is protected—both outside and inside your home.