What is a Personal Umbrella Policy?
A personal umbrella policy substantially increases your overall liability coverage beyond the basic liability coverages provided by your home and car insurance policies. This policy is designed to protect you and your family against a catastrophic lawsuit or judgement.
Personal umbrella coverage limits range from one million to five million and higher limits are available.
What would happen if these events happened to you?
- You reach down to get your cell phone and accidentally run over the median and hit another vehicle head on. The damages awarded to the other driver total over $500,000. Our client’s personal umbrella responded to this.
- You rent jet skis while on vacation and accidentally run over a swimmer. The swimmer suffers a debilitating injury and is awarded a $750,000 settlement. Our client’s personal umbrella responded to this.
- You own a rental property and your tenant slips and falls on the icy front walk. Serious injury occurs and your tenant is unable to return to work. The tenant sues you and is awarded $850,000 by a jury. Our client’s personal umbrella responded to this.
You maintain your home insurance and car insurance policies with a required limit of liability. Your personal umbrella policy limits are then excess over these limits and in some cases your personal umbrella limits do become the first paid in some judgments.
Do you really need a Personal Umbrella policy?
Yes, we think so!
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Once your car or home liability limits are exhausted, how will you afford expensive legal fees to defend your liability case?
- If you are found legally liable for an act and a judgement is rendered against you, what assets will you utilize to satisfy any judgements?
- Did you know that future wages may be garnished as part of a liability award?
How much does a personal umbrella policy cost?
The pricing for this varies depending on your family’s driving record and the number of homes, cars, and other owned recreational vehicles. For excellent drivers with two cars and one home the pricing starts at $200 per year. We do not think you can afford to be without this financial protection.