What You Need to Do if You Are in a Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident can be a stressful, confusing experience. If you need to file a claim, you’ll be counting on your insurance company’s knowledge and Herlihy Insurance to help you.
We all know that accidents happen. When they do, it’s important to focus on making sure everyone is safe. Having the appropriate items on hand can help with safety, as well as help you to obtain the information you may need from the scene. Finally, it’s also helpful to know what to do after the accident. Here’s a rundown of how to prepare for the unexpected and what to do after an auto accident:
After a Car Accident
- If you are involved in a car accident, immediately take safety measures and turn on your hazard lights. Remaining stopped on a roadway can put you and others at risk of another accident. If it’s safe to do so and the vehicle is operable, move it off the roadway, if necessary. If you have reflective triangles or other safety devices in your vehicle, use them to help alert other motorists that there’s a stopped vehicle ahead. Be aware of oncoming vehicles before you place them on the edge of the roadway.
- Check on all involved in the accident, if it is safe and you are able to do so.
- Get help. Call 911 for help if there are injuries, a fire, a hit-and-run accident or any situation requiring emergency assistance. If the police come to the scene, make sure to note the police department jurisdiction (state versus a town, for example) and the officer’s name to help obtain a police report later, if necessary.
- Exchange information with the other driver or drivers, if it’s safe to do so. Make sure you’re in a safe location, away from the side of the road. Collect the contact information, as well as the license plate numbers, make, model and insurance companies and policy numbers of all the involved vehicles. You also may want to collect contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Use your smartphone to take pictures of the accident scene and the involved vehicles, if it’s safe to do so. (Consider that it’s probably not a good idea to post them on social media.) You may also want to take a video of the accident scene. It can be helpful to document road conditions, weather, and traffic control devices such as stop signs or lights.
- Contact your insurance company.
Herlihy Insurance is here for you at claim time. Ask us questions! Just let us know how we can help.